Borg Design was founded in 1945 by Karl A Borg. Karl was a machinist for a shop in Waltham MA and left to start his own company in the basement of his house in Sudbury, MA. With one main customer, Sudbury Laboratories, the company slowly grew out of the basement and into the detached garage. Being the only employee forced Karl to become an expert in all aspects of machining and manufacturing. He would regularly work with customers to help them improve their design and help them solve any manufacturing challenges they might be having.
Over 70 Years Of Manufacturing Excellence
Over the years, Karl slowly added on to the garage until it was 1600 sq. ft. In 1978 Karl Stanley joined his father in the business. Karl Stanley was a Mechanical Engineering graduate from Norwich University. Karl Stanley brought passion and the ability to grow and expand the business. The pair became known for their ability to come up with great solutions for the customers manufacturing issues.
The family was always at the core or Borg Design. Karl A’s two grandsons worked with him from the age of 7. Teaching the kids how to run the machines, clean the floor, and deburr the parts. In 1992, Brandon joined the company full time. Karl Andrew soon followed him in 1993 after he graduated from UMass Amherst with a degree in Mechanical Engineering.
The Modern Machine Shop
Then in 1996, Borg Design moved for the 1st time. They moved into 3500 sq. ft location on Kane Industrial Drive in Hudson, MA. This move for the 1st time allowed the company to grow and expand freely. In 2001, now with 6 CNC Machining Centers and eight full-time employees, Borg Design moved again, to a 100-year-old mill building in Hudson, MA with 12,000 sq. ft. of manufacturing floor space. We outgrew that space as well. In 2014, Borg Design made its latest move into a 30,000 sq. ft facility on Brent Drive in Hudson, MA. This move allowed for a complete reorganization of the production floor and a total expansion of the company to be as significant as we are today.
Whether you’re looking for prototype or production machining or design and engineering consulting, you can count on us to deliver:
- Honest, reliable, and responsive service. We always put the needs of our customers first and will help determine what the best solution is for you.
- Experienced professionals. Our dedicated team of machinists and associates has decades of experience working with a wide variety of large or small production runs, prototype work, and R&D projects.
- Design expertise. We have a dedicated staff of registered mechanical engineers with knowledge in utilizing SolidWorks, a software program that offers solid modeling and drafting capabilities. With this technology and our expertise, we can monitor the development of your designs and eliminate problems before they happen.
- State-of-the-art CNC machining. Borg Design also has 3D surface machining capabilities and full 4th axis’s, allowing us to produce molds or parts with complex surfaces and more.
- Exhaustive quality control. Our state-of-the-art technology and rigorous inspection process ensure we produce the highest-quality finished products every time.
Borg Design is an AS9100D and ISO 9001:2015 certified manufacturer. We are DDTC/ITAR registered, fully equipped, 30,000sf CNC machine shop. We have a staff of engineers and associates with years of experience working together to provide a full range of services specializing in large and small production runs, complex 3D machining, design work, machine building, assembly fixtures, prototypes and machining and engineering consulting.
We carry over 20 CNC Milling Machines. These machining centers range in size up to our largest with 120” travel by 40” of travel. Our machines have 12,000 RPM spindles, High Speed Machining with full 4th axis’s and part probing. Our Four CNC Turning Centers, with Chucks from 6” to 12” diameter, have collet noses, live centers, parts catchers and bar feeding capability up to 2.0” diameter. We work on large and small parts in all types of materials, such as Stainless Steel, Aluminum, Nickel alloys, plastics, exotics and titanium. We regularly hold tolerances to less than 0.0010″, and we make quality and reliability our primary focus throughout the process.
Design Capabilities & Consulting
Our Mechanical Engineers are experienced with machine and product design, as well as designing and build compression and transfer molds, assembly fixtures, and machines. Borg Design’s Engineers use SolidWorks for 3D CAD modeling and drafting. Machining consulting and design for manufacturing consulting with services ranging from programming assistance, complete programming, part fixtures, and tooling packages. We can also help reduce manufacturing costs.
Welding and sheet metal work; including bending, stamping, water jet, and laser cutting and rivet installation. Rigorous quality control, short lead times, and quick turnarounds are what make Borg Design a leader in our field.
WE HAVE EVERYTHING YOU NEED